I remember when I young and first working in NYC, the adage was “when taxi cab drivers start giving you stock tips, you know it’s time to get out of the market.” This is similar advice to what one of the smartest and most successful financial advisors told me years ago, “don’t be part of the herd. To be successful, you need to be different.” That’s my message to you today. If you want to sell your house for more money and in less time, don’t take your house off the market for the holidays and then put it back on the market afterwards. Why? Cause no one else is!! So here goes my top 7 reasons to list your house now and not wait until the spring market:
1) In December 2014, 801 homes sold, 5,982 homes were on the market, and there was 7.5 months supply of inventory in Fairfield County. During the height of the spring market in April 2015, 724 homes sold, 8,291 homes were on the market, and there was 11.5 months supply of inventory in Fairfield County.
2) With less competition, you could potentially sell your home more quickly and for more money.
3) Work tends to slow down, everyone takes time off from work and buyers now have time to shop.
4) Companies transfer employees for the first of the year, and buyers want to have their kids start their new school right after the holidays.
5) Buyers that are out looking are serious buyers, so your life is not disrupted for the lookie loos that we have in the spring. Plus it’s dark out at 5pm, so no more dinner time showings.
6) Banks are less busy, so loans process faster.
7) Historically, interest rates tend to drop the most at year end, so your buyer gets a better deal and so will you.